Security and privacy of data is the most important concern for banks offering services on the Internet, as information transmitted without proper security is susceptible to fraud and misuse. Sohar International is committed to provide the safest Internet Banking service without compromising on the data privacy and security of your transactions.
Change your Passwords Periodically: We recommend that you change your passwords regularly, at least every 30 days or so. To change your Passwords, login to internet banking and go to the 'Personal Preferences' section, then click on the 'Change Password' option. As a security measure, the system prompts you to change your password every 365 Days. However, it is advised to avoid choosing a password that is generic in nature, easily predictable from the personal data such as name, date of birth, address, telephone number, driving license/car number, etc.
Keep your Internet Banking Passwords Confidential: Never disclose your password to anyone, not even to any bank officials. If you think someone knows your password go online and change it immediately.
Have a screensaver password so that when you are away from your personal computer nobody else can access it.
Take Care to Log Off: Log Off from Internet banking every time after you complete your online banking session. Do not close your browser without logging off.
Look for the padlock symbol () on the bottom bar of the browser to ensure that the site is running in secure mode before you enter sensitive information.
Clear your browser's cache: Clear your browser's cache and history after each session so that your account information is removed, especially if you have used a shared computer to access Internet Banking on www.soharinternational.com.
Shred unnecessary financial documents immediately: Discard pin or password mailers immediately after memorizing them. Never write them down or store them.
Check the authenticity of the site if you have doubts by double clicking either on the on the PADLOCK icon (PADLOCK icon) displayed below on the bottom bar of the browser or click on the Verisign Symbol displayed on the login Page.
Avoid downloading programs from unknown sources: Some sources may have hidden forms of spyware or viruses that could compromise the security of your computer.
Do not leave personal information lying around in an unprotected place: Always ensure that your cheque books, statements, etc... are kept in a secure place.
Do not open attachments sent through mails, if you do not know the sender.
If you receive an e-mail claiming to be from Sohar International regarding updating sensitive account information, let us know by forwarding the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Sohar International Customer Care center (+968 24730000). We never send e-mails with clickable links to Sohar International login page or pages that capture customer information. In case you have revealed sensitive information on any site or even to employees of the bank, please call up the customer service and inform immediately. As a policy the Banks staff will never ask for Passwords, PIN or other sensitive information by e-mail, SMS or voice calls.
The security infrastructure for Internet Banking comprises of 128-bit encryption, filtering routers, firewalls, and virus monitoring tools.
Internet Banking uses 128-bit digital certificate from Verisign for encryption of the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session. SSL is the industry standard for encrypted communication and ensures that customer's interaction with the Bank over the Internet is secure.
Our additional Security measures:
• Virtual Keypad to avoid any keylogger attacks,
• Two levels of passwords; login and transaction password for confirming financial/non-financial transaction.
• First-time passwords and Login ID are automatically generated by the system and printed on to password mailers so that no one in the Bank is ever aware of the passwords
• The system enforces change of password and Login ID on first time login and Forced periodic change of passwords is implemented
• The Internet Banking facility is locked in case of 5 consecutive wrong passwords.
We would like to caution you against the fraudulent emails which claim to have come from the Sohar International. These emails ask the customer to verify their personal details by clicking on a link and some of them threaten to restrict the Internet Banking access or similar such action in case you do not respond.
We would like to re-iterate that as a policy, we would never ask for your passwords, PIN’s and personal details through an email, SMS or voice calls
We seek your cooperation by forwarding all such suspicious emails to netbanking@Soharinternational.com
Information Security Officer
Sohar International SAOG
Please note the following points that will help you protect yourself while using Internet Banking:
• At Sohar International, we would never ask for your passwords, PIN’s and personal details through an email, SMS or voice calls. If any of our bank personnel asks you for your password, do not disclose it and report the same immediately to us.
Never respond to emails that request personal information.
• Do not click any links inside an e-mail of which you have the slightest suspicion. Instead use a web browser to reach a particular web address. Type http://www.soharinternational.com instead of clicking on the link.
• Check whether the site that you are visiting is genuine: Before submitting your bank details or other sensitive information, the following checks will help ensure the genuineness of the site.
• Always login via www.soharinternational.com
• The internet banking site address should start with “https://” (‘s’ stands for secured) rather than the usual “http://”. Please note that the fact that website is using encryption doesn't necessarily mean that the same is legitimate. It only tells you that data is being sent in encrypted form.
• Look for the padlock symbol () in the Sohar International secured login/ sign-in page and double click on it to view the certificate. The padlock symbol is at the bottom status bar or in the address bar of the page.
• Keep your password confidential and change them often. Changing passwords often helps in protecting your account even if inadvertently you may have disclosed it to someone.
• Always use Virtual Keyboard provided for entering passwords when you are accessing the internet banking site from a Cyber Cafe/Public computer.
• If you receive any e-mail claiming to be from Sohar International regarding updating sensitive account information or clicking a link for login into the Bank’s Internet Banking site , please let us know by forwarding the e-mail to email@example.com or call our call centre on +968 2473 0000.